I used to run pretty regularly and use it to get in shape. Well I started hanging out more with family and got a lot more lazy and stopped doing it. So now I’m back into running again. I’m trying to run every day and at a bare minimum, at least three times a week. So this week, I ran Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday. I got to Thursday and had dropped Zach off an hour away with his dad and Jolyn came with me (:D) and I tried calling April and one way or the other, by the time I got home, I was ready to just chill out on the couch and not do anything. The problem was there wasn’t really anything worthwhile on TV – so annoying. I’m trying to veg and I can’t even do it properly.
So I was looking at my pedometer, trying to justify taking a day off from running. Well I aim to get in about 10,000 steps a day and yesterday by 8:30 pm, I only had 4,700. I recently got a better parking spot at work so it’s cut down my walk by about ½ mile each way so that really cuts into my daily steps. So I decided that I would just walk on the treadmill to up my step count but still take it easy. So I got on the treadmill and was walking at a pace of 3 miles an hour. Ok after three minutes of that, I was just bored. I normally do a two to three minute warm up and then jog for a minute and then walk for 1 ½ minutes and repeat that cycle for 20 more minutes. So I’m 5 minutes into this attempt at walking and finally decide to just start running. I took it easy and was jogging at a 12-minute mile pace and after one minute of it, just decided to keep going. So I jogged a mile in 12 minutes. Which I haven’t done in more than a year.
I’ve decided that for my next 5K I want to do it in under 30 minutes. So I’ve been tracking my time this week with my jog/walk routine (and with that, I jog at a 10-minute mile pace) and two days this week, I’ve gotten my mile under 13 minutes even with the walking mixed in (which is done at about a 15 to 17-minute mile pace.) So it’s kinda funny that I was actually running at a slower pace last night than I normally do but I still got where I wanted to go faster.
Just goes to show that we push ourselves and push ourselves but sometimes, the best thing we can do is just pull back a tad and take a breather and give ourselves a break.
13 years ago
2 comments:
That's the only thing that has ever worked for me to stay in shape is running! I used to do it a lot but I have taken a long month off since I haven't felt good! Good job, Keep up the good work!
I have found that to be true too, if I push myself too hard, I don't get as good results and then I end up hating what I'm doing because I'm pushing so hard, so...good job!!
I'm doing good, I sent you an email, to your yahoo! Thanks!!! (no i'm not avoiding you, it's hard to get away to talk when Josh is home and we go to parks and all that fun stuff!!)
Post a Comment