So I'm in a bit of shock tonight. I got an email from my son's step-mother saying that his dad just had a heart attack. All I know is that it was mild, they thought he was supposed to be out of the hospital by tomorrow but it now looks like he'll be in until at least Friday, and he's not allowed to have his cell phone.
There have been many times when I have been frustrated with him... but never to the point that I would wish for this.
I just don't understand how a 32 year old has a heart attack - even if it's mild. He's not obese - maybe a bit overweight. But I just read a study today that says that being overweight does not increase your risk of heart related disease or cancer - it's not until you become obese that your risk increases. So does that mean his heart was already bad? His parents are still alive and as far as I know have never had heart problems. Is it a fluke? Is my son at risk?
It's funny how I spend time trying to fight pancreatic cancer. I was getting really involved with that when my close friend got diagnosed with a rare form of melanoma. How do you know what to fight against? How do you know if you're putting your efforts in the right place?
I guess the only thing I have to fall back on right now is my exercise and eating. If I keep biking and running and working out and if I try real hard (I could do so much better) to eat well and teach my son to eat healthy and teach him to exercise and take care of his body... well, that's all I've got and even that is no guarantee.
It's just weird.
13 years ago
3 comments:
It was unnerving for me too. Josh's dad had a heart attack last year and it seems like it didn't happen because he's okay now...but still almost 200,000 people died from heart attacks last year (in the US).
WEIRD. and ya, I was thinking about fighting the fight too...there are so many diseases and things out there, how do we know which one will be our close and personal battle?
Heart problems run on both sides of my family (webb and borreggo), and Jarek has a congenital heart defect and Malik was born with one that self corrected. I get to deal with it daily!
Still, it is always a shock when someone has a heart attack so unexpectedly. Just recently my OB/GYN, who is in her late 40's early 50's, who is in EXCELLENT health, just found out she has a heart condition and had to take a leave of absence from her practice. After years and years of running, and taking care of herself, it just popped up suddenly for her.
I think anyone, no matter how "physically" fit they are, can have health problems, be it with the heart, liver, lungs, pancreas, brain etc... It could just be their time for a trial, or if they have a lot of emotional stuff they don't deal with, something can crop up. I believe our emotional health can play a big role in our physical health. But, that is my opinion and I would never try and start a fight for those who don't believe the same. :)
I hope things work out for the best with your ex. It must be hard on your son. I'll send some positive thought and prayers your way.
Yeah, that is REALLY crazy!
Post a Comment