Monday, January 12, 2009

Love (and no… not the mushy romantic stuff… don’t get all excited)

It’s funny how we can grow up and have images or thoughts or experiences that determine how we define something for years or sometimes even a lifetime. I have defined the concept of love by this particular image in my head. It is a scene in which my mom is kneeling in front of someone, crying, begging, pleading, encouraging, pushing for the response that she is trying so desperately to elicit from the subject of her attention. For so long, that has been my definition of love. I have accepted it in different forms but I guess I’ve been holding on to that image as “pure” love or even my ideal for love.

I went to Tucson this weekend for some much needed friend time (and it was awesome – love my friends!!) and while driving back and listening to this talk on tape by S. Michael Wilcox, I just had this sudden epiphany… like lightning struck my brain. Love is the feeling that draws me to irresistibly to certain people, that provides a sense of well-being and welcome, that says that you’re invited even without an invitation, that prods me to open my soul and spill my guts with faith that such will not lead to rejection but deeper understanding.

Different people radiate their love in different ways and there are versions of it that I hope to never experience again. And there are others that I’m not sure I’ll ever get enough of, that seeps into my soul and infuses me with life!

And the thing that is most delightful is the far reaching effects of this love in my life. It fills me with hope. And if you’ve ever lived without hope, it’s amazing what a difference it can make to have it. It’s like putting on rose colored glasses – not in the “not dealing with reality, let’s just gloss everything over” kind of way either. It makes it seem like you can deal with whatever issue that comes up because you don’t have to do it alone and at the end of the day, you belong somewhere. It’s like being alive!

So for those of you who already have it… hang on to it, it’s the elixir of life! For those of you who don’t, I hope you find it. And to those who love me… thanks! It means more to me than I think even I understand!

6 comments:

aprilhoyt said...

I like that...good definition!! Sometimes, you are too deep! in a good way!

Skylar & Chanell said...

Hey there Heather.. It's chanell!! I am doing great. just living my life as much as I can. Even though i haven't seen you in forever.. I still love you. You are such a great and strong women. Hope things are well for you too. I would love to keep in touch with you through the wonderful world of blogs. Thanks for the comment.

Jamie Sue said...

I hope you know that I LOVE YOU!!

THE CAVEY CLAN said...

Once again, beautifully written and has caused me to reflect on my own definition of love and those I love, past and present. But most importantly, what kind of love I give! I think you should take a second job of writing:0),I LOVE YOU woman!

Whitney and Michael said...

So deep yet so true! I really appreciate what you share! And I love you too! you are an awesome example!

p.s. guess what!? I walked 25, 132 steps yesterday according to the perdomoter you gave me! I love that thing, thanks again for getting it for me! you are always thoughtful!

Jensen Family said...

Great thought provoking writings! That's great that you were able to go to Tucson and hang out with your friends!