Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Ten Year High School Reunion

In honor of my ten year high school reunion later this year, I sat down and tried to make a list of some of the things I've done in the last ten years, in no particular order,

  • I moved away from home
  • I lived in Tucson for 9 years
  • I lived in 7 apartments in Tucson (although most of the shuffling happened my first year there)
  • I lived in Gilbert for 1 year
  • I bought a house
  • I attended UA
  • I graduated from UA with a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration with a major in Accounting
  • I changed my major three times but still finished in 4 years
  • I got married
  • I miscarried a baby
  • I retained a lawyer
  • I got divorced
  • I watched my belly grow with life
  • I gave birth to my son
  • I watched my mom die
  • I took my son to his first day of Kindergarten
  • I ran three 5k’s and one 10K – one 5K with a stroller and my boy
  • I got a step-mother and four step-siblings
  • I lost a house to a house fire
  • I have held two jobs – at UA and at ASU
  • I was promoted: from a Jr. Accountant (at UA) to a Sr. Accountant (at UA) to a Sr. Financial Analyst at ASU
  • I doubled my salary in five years
  • I testified in court on behalf of UA
  • I testified in court on behalf of myself
  • I toured Steward Observatory’s mirror lab where the largest mirrors in the world are made
  • I started a business
  • I bought and paid in full for a $40,000, ½ ton, 4 head, industrial embroidery machine
  • I learned how to convert pictures into embroidered masterpieces
  • I walked away from my business
  • I established and ran the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network Affiliate in Tucson
  • I jump started and co-lead the Pancreatic Cancer Action Network Affiliate in Phoenix
  • I lobbied congress to increase funding for cancer research
  • I put together and led a workshop on financial freedom
  • I learned how to make ties, shorts, and capes for little boys
  • I visited California, Utah, New York, and Washington DC
  • I started wearing glasses
  • I stopped eating red meat
  • I cut my hair short
  • I went to my first MLB game
  • I became a D’backs fan
  • I became a Cardinals fan
  • I went to my first concert
  • I learned to play tennis
  • I took archery lessons from the US Olympic Team’s coach
  • I started and then stopped pursuing a Masters in English
  • I took on woodworking projects to beautify my home
  • I mastered my mom’s bread recipe
  • I lost a friend to cancer
  • I lost my grandfather
  • I adopted friends as family
  • I gained new friendships
  • I grew closer to family
  • I congratulated all four of my sisters on their weddings
  • I met 17 new nieces and nephews (added to the two who joined the family before I finished high school)

9 comments:

Jamie Sue said...

Wow, that's quite a list--some happy, some not so happy, but that is life. What's that saying..."Life is what happens when you were busy making other plans." I think that's how it goes. It's true!! Love ya~!!

Jamie Sue said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
My Sister's Tricks said...

WOW. I can't believe 10 years has past for you at good ole Blue Ridge High. I can remember you taken care of me and many other girls while you were a senior and we were freshmen. You have accomplished a lot in 10 years and should be very proud of yourself!! Hope life is treating you well.

Jensen Family said...

Wow that's awesome! Now my last ten years seem really boring! That was fun to read! Are you going to the reunion? I don't think I will be able to make it.

heatherhite said...

WOW! Some major accomplishments! Maybe I should so the same, since it's my ten-year as well. I don't think it would look the same as your list, though.....

aprilhoyt said...

that is quite an amazing list...good job! and good luck with the next ten!! :D

Andrea N' Mike said...

WOWee! That's a lot of things! You really have done a lot of really great things though, and you've accomplished a lot! Very impressive! Don't forget to add.... inspired your sister to finish school and become a stronger woman. :) Love you!

Tiffany said...

I'm a little tired just reading the list, you've had your ups and downs for sure but you are a stronger person now for it. Way to go keep that list growing, and i think you look fabulous for being so old. haha j/k(about the old part)!

The Watkins said...

I followed your blog from Jolyn's. What a wonderful list of accomplishments you should be very proud. I am so sorry to hear about your mom. You are doing a wonderful thing by helping out with all the organizations. You are a great example for your son. Hope to see you at the reunion this weekend!