Monday, July 6, 2009

My Pappy

You know how it is when you go get a haircut or something and you just feel different… like the world IS different… all because of a haircut (or a new pair of glasses or that cute new tattoo on your ankle… you know?!!??!) Well that’s how it feels with my dad being married now. It just feels different. It wasn’t really a surprise. I think the element of surprise was lost after their first year of being engaged. But then again, maybe it was a surprise – because after 20 months of being engaged they finally did go through with it and get married.

So nothing is really different but as of Friday, I have a step-mother. Nothing earth shattering or unique about that. It’s just different for me.

And like one sister pointed out… when you have a step-mother, it is another reminder that your own mother really is gone. And yes, I realize she’s been gone for 4 ½ years… but sometimes I like to pretend that we just haven’t called each other in a while and I can still be in denial over the fact that she’s gone. Because if you haven’t lost a parent (or someone very close to you) you may not realize this… but it hurts long after the bleeding has stopped.

So in case you get the wrong idea, I extend my congratulations to my dad on his nuptials. I understand the loneliness that accompanies the loss of a relationship and I’m happy that he has someone to change his diapers when he’s old and decrepit (instead of me!!) I wish them well in the marriage and hope that they will provide companionship and support to each other into their old age.

Bless and be blessed!

4 comments:

Dahly Mama said...

Amen, sista!!!

aprilhoyt said...

so true!

Skousen Seven said...

Your mom will always be missed and thought of fondly. I think your post said it so nicely of how you feel. You and your siblings are awesome!!!

Whatcott Family said...

ditto Heather,