So I’ve been furloughed. In an attempt to expand your recession vocabulary, I’ll just tell you that means I have forced time off without pay. For the next twenty weeks, I will take one day off every two weeks. That’s equivalent to a 10% cut in pay.
It’s kind of interesting to me how ok I am with it. I mean, really deep down, I’m panicking and if I get to thinking about the possibilities of what might happen next, I can get myself pretty worked up. But altogether, I think I’m a lot better with dealing with things in my professional life than in my personal life. I think it’s because I never had any expectations about having a career so nothing that happens is really, well, hurting my expectations. What happens, happens. I know it’s not personal, it’s business. It’s scary because it still affects me personally but I know it’s not because I like to have blue hair or eat string cheese for snacks. It’s just the most efficient way to run things right now. And it helps that every other employee that works for ASU is facing the same thing.
Anyway. All that aside, I’m nervous to admit it but I’m kinda looking forward to my furlough days. I have long thought about trying to find ways to cut my hours to get more time in with my sweet baby boy and now I am. It’s still going to be a challenge to fit 10 days worth of work into 9 and I may start working extra at home and stuff… but I’m looking forward to my every other Monday when we’ll be going to the zoo or hanging out with friends/family, checking out the Life Sciences Bldg at ASU that has the snakes in cages all over the first floor… and anything else that we can find to do (that’s free/nearly free of course!!)
I get to experience a little bit extra of being a stay at home mom. I’m really excited! We’ve had to make cuts in our budget and we’re not eating out as much or splurging on other things. But I really think this is going to be fun!! So yea for furloughs.
(as a side note – we still gotta vote those peeps out of state government that have no understanding of economics. Cuts = shrinking economy. Seriously.)
Oh and as soon as I stop being lazy, I'll post these great pics of Z in his Cardinals t-shirt. He's so fun! Too bad the Cards lost. Oh well it was an awesome game!!!!
13 years ago
7 comments:
Well, it sounds like you have fun days planned ahead!! It still sucks that you have to have furloughs, but it's good that you can spend more time with Z!! good luck with it all and let me know what I can do to help!!
That is so great that you have such a good attitude about it! It stinks to have to budget more but it's worth the extra time with your Z!
I am so sorry! It is nice to have some time to spend with your boy! I enjoy being home and having that time and am wondering if I should go back or what I should do. :) We enjoy going to the museums around BYU, they are pretty interesting and the girls never get bored of them so that is nice, because they are FREE! Even better!
please don't feel sorry for me!! i mean maybe it's not ideal but like i said, i'm actually looking forward to this!! i had three months of Z's life so far where i've spent it at home with him and this is a sorry compensation for that but hey - gotta start somewhere!! I get to be a bit of a stay at home mom and i'm really psyched!! I feel pretty lucky!!
I'm excited for you Heather! If you and Z. want two crazy boys and their crazy Momma for company.....we'd be happy to oblige:0)! If you get a season zoo pass and want to head to the zoo with me that would be fun!
Yay to being able to spend time with Z! It will be an awesome experience. Royce and I are home all the time. If you want to meet up with us sometime let me know! I would love to see you guys.
Well, not fun! Too bad you don't get paid for your days off. Casey's lucky to even be working, but he's not making NEARLY what we're used to. It's a good thing I started working for my bro-in-law Dusty, cause it's helping fill the gap, and we're getting bills paid.
Post a Comment