So it's been a while since I've posted and things have been very busy. I left my job at ASU and started with a new company. It's the first time I've not worked for a University so it's different but so far it has been pretty fun. Every morning I get a $20 credit towards drinks in the vending machine. I find it very tempting to see if I can fit $20 worth of drinks in my purse and just take them home. Do you think they would notice?
Anyway, the best thing about the new job is that I now pick up Z after school... sorry Tia Rhea for the pink slip :(.... This week has been busy crazy and my house is messier than it was when I was working full time - how is that possible... isn't it supposed to be sparkling clean now? I was a bit afraid that by going part time, I would lose my identity. I'm not sure what I even mean by that... just that I don't want to get so wrapped up in my family that my own life has no meaning beyond them... not that family isn't like the best thing ever... just that I know I need other things in my life, too.
So I feel very blessed at this point in my life. I can't say things are perfect. But I feel very blessed.
I was thinking today about families though. How marriages just end sometimes and what happens in their wake. How traditions change and routines change - out of necessity. It seems so unfair that a kid would have to face two households, splitting time and love and everything else between two homes. And I can think of a bunch of situations that are worse than divorce - having a parent die, suffering from abuse from a parent... etc. But it just seems so hard.
I was listening to an astrologer on the radio this morning and she was talking to a guy who wanted to know if things would get better with his wife. So as he told his story, it turned out that he had been married to her for 30 years and his wife had been divorced from her ex for about 35 years or something. But she had a daughter from her first marriage who was around 11 when they got divorced and at her age (mid 40's) was still causing havoc and blaming her mother for ruining her life because of the divorce.
I think about my own situation with my mom having passed away and how sometimes I feel like I need to talk to her and clarify things in the past and intentions and meanings of actions but I don't get to. So I wonder if I will be like that... in my mid-40's and making other people's lives more difficult because my inability to let go the unresolved-ness of my relationship with my mom.
Then I worry about my kid - will he have the same? He was 18 months when his parents split and he doesn't remember us even living in the same place ever. But I know he loves both of us. Will he come to resent us for not sticking it out? And what about kids who experience that loss at a more influential age, like my step-daughter... where she already has so many memories of how Christmas should be... of a family....
Divorce is a death except it's worse. What dies is your expectations for a future but what lives on is the people that could have made those expectations a reality. I look at my son and my step-daughters and I feel incapable of healing their losses but at the same time, want so much for there to be relief.
So I guess the real meat of it is... what do you teach kids so that they will be resilient... so that regardless of what tragedy befalls them, they have the ability to avoid blaming others, to continue to love and trust, to determine their own lives? I hope loving the snot out of them... at least helps!
13 years ago
5 comments:
Z knows you love him, and he'll feel it forever. I think the best way to help him cope with life is to make sure you are never making excuses for him. Let him realize that things just happen, that are out of his control, but it's ok. All of lifes experiences are for our benefit and learning.
Thanks Kendra. I believe you're right that Z will know I love him. I just want to compensate in some way for the fact that his life (and same for my step-daughters) is going to be different and most likely harder. But not compensate in a way that end up harming them (by making them dependent and all that.) I just want to make everything perfect even though I know that's not really possible. My heart goes out to them and the struggles that they have to face.
That really is a tough situation, and not sure what I would nesscarily do in that situation either. But from knowing the awesome Z that you have, I think he is a pretty strong kid, and the fact that he has a pretty strong mother, that loves him to peices, will help things alot smooth out. It isn't nesscarily fair, yes, but life never really is, and if we just learn to enjoy it despite that all, or teach them to enjoy it, they can handle anything life throws at them. And the best way kids learn any kind of lesson, I think, is through examples of others that are close to them, and then experiencing it themselves. And I think you will be a great example of resiliance and sticking it out, you've taught me alot already, I am sure he is learning more than you notice! And its like you told me earily, just love to death and save up for therapy later if you need it ;)
Very thought provoking...sorry I don't have answers for you, but I think just loving them is the best! Love you!!
There you are Hubba! Sheesh, I never see, hear or talk to you anymore. Had no clue you quit ASU, glad it's working out for you! As for Z! I think loving him to pieces is very important, and I also think, like Whitney, example is highly important! How we face life and handle their challenges, and the attitude we incorporate into our lives, our children will notice and remember as they face them themselves! Love ya Heather, wish we could get together! ~Jo
Post a Comment